TUPNews is a subsidiary of The Uncertainty Principle

Tuesday

LONDON NEWS

TUPNews learned today that a stitch in time does, in fact, save £45, which is the cost of relining my winter coat after the lining was scratched almost a year ago after being stored safely in an overhead luggage compartment. Over the winter, it has almost completely disintegrated. Rather gallingly, the £45 repair cost represents 45% of the original purchase cost. I do love that coat, though.

If you need clothing fixed cheap, TUPNews recommends that you deal with it sooner rather than later. But regardless of when you deal with it, I recommend my tailor, located near the corner of New Bond Street and Brook Street.

Walk west down Brook and look out for a side street called Haunch of Venison Yard (I know, it’s fantastic!). Go down the little passageway and turn immediately to your right – a white door is directly in front of you. You should be able to see them working away through the first floor window. Ring the buzzer, go inside and climb the wrought iron spiral staircase.

There’s no name on the door, as it is basically a sweatshop – about four or five Middle Eastern guys stitching away in a tiny room. If you were to go into one of the more impressive Savile Row tailors and request a basic alteration or repair on an inexpensive item of clothing, it will almost certainly be farmed off to my tailor, but charged at Savile Row prices. Cut out the middleman!

UPDATE:

Just picked it up, it's a work of art. Lining is now satin. I was so pleased I even tipped him. Now I can go back to looking the dapper gent, rather than wearing my stand-in fleece that makes me look like a middle-aged lesbian.