TUPNews is a subsidiary of The Uncertainty Principle

Tuesday

SPORTS NEWS

Football

Southern Premier League
Twerton Park

Bath City 0 – 2 Chippenham Town

I was hoping to write an in-depth report about this Easter Monday fixture, but the result has left me too depressed to go into it in any detail.

It was, in fairness, a lovely day to go down the football, and the fine weather and import of the match had swelled the crowd to over two thousand, well above the average gate of six hundred. But we was robbed: an early red card for a City striker put everything off balance in an already sloppy match, and the atmosphere was dead by the sixty-minute mark. Usually I can watch City lose and still enjoy the day out (God knows I’ve had enough practice), but God I fucking hate Chippenham Town, and faced with a home loss like this, all my Zen deserts me.

So all TUPNews has to share with you is a realisation I had on the terraces: that the emptiest, most lonely sound in the world is the sound of the away support celebrating a goal from the other side of the ground. Their roars don’t just sound like a quieter echo of the home supporters’ cheers - they actually sound like the inverse of the home supporters’ cheers, like the air is being sucked out of the stadium.